Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Burgess Students Helping Haiti

My students never cease to amaze me. Over the long weekend, one of my students felt the need to help Haiti children and created a proposal to present to Student Council this morning. It never ceases to amaze me how civic minded children can be.

Click here to look at the proposal!

I try to teach my students to "think globally, act locally" and sometimes feel that the children just don't get it. They are too busy thinking of themselves and instant gratification--being children. Then I get a proposal like this, with a unanimous yes by student council and I know that the children are listening, and responding in ways more mature and thoughtful ways than I could have imagined!

1 comment:

  1. What a great first day. We raised over $1,400 already, and our bracelets won't get here until Wednesday. One local high school wants to sell bracelets our students designed to help raise money, too! This project just keeps getting bigger!

    ReplyDelete