Saturday, January 9, 2010

About Me

I teach at Burgess Elementary School in Myrtle Beach, SC. We are a new school, built in the middle of the woods about 2 miles from the ocean. We have deer and geese on our playground and sea turtles in our front yard. We care.

As we became more aware of our school and the environment around us, we became more determined to do something to save it. Last year we installed a rain garden and learned about storm water pollution. The awareness of the problems our school was causing the environment made us want to do more. Burgess Elementary Saves Tomorrow (BEST) was born.

BEST consists of students who are learning about the problems in our environment and solutions to these problems. As they learn about genres and grammar, they are documenting their actual attempts to make today a better place and are finding ways to show the world their progress. You will see some of their work here.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post about your school! I want to teach there. Great to meet you yesterday. I look forward to learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere. I hope you will stick with it and find much joy and reward form the experience. I have added you to my reader as I am delighted to have more SC educators to follow and read.

    ReplyDelete